There is no better time to enjoy your outdoor space than during the summer months. House of Style & Design owner Yelena Gerts explains, “I approach every outdoor project with the same mentality as I approach all my indoor projects. The goal is to create a comfortable and stylish outdoor living space that you and your family won’t want to leave. Here are a few of my favorite tips to spruce up you backyard to make it a beautiful space to entertain and enjoy your summer.”
- Clean out your backyard after winter. Declutter and discard any unwanted items. Create a blank canvas for new design. Take a look around to see what needs maintenance or repair.
- Schedule all your summer services. Make sure to get your appointments in order for a spring cleanup, pool opening, and lawn fertilization. Landscaping professionals are very busy at this time of year and you want to get on their schedule as early as possible.
- Review your inventory for furniture, lighting, and outdoor rugs. April is the best month to shop for all your outdoor needs. This way, you can have everything ready and delivered on time for your summer opening party.
- Consider planting. A well-maintained garden will make your backyard even more appealing. Keep in mind that plants need food to grow. You can feed them with different types of fertilizers to help your garden blossom. Make sure that you consult a gardening expert to know what’s best for planting. Two of my favorite places to shop are Dearborn Market in Holmdel and Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck. You can find many beautiful plants and flowers there.
- Bring the indoors out. Create different zones throughout your yard. Identify each space where you would want to entertain, dine, and relax. Start with a regular floor plan, to avoid mistakes and wrong size purchases. Once you know exactly what you need, create an outdoor living area with comfortable seating and an outdoor rug. Add puffs and small ottomans for extra seating.
- Add color. Make sure you have a color scheme that is cohesive throughout the space. I usually like to have a neutral color for upholstery and bring lots of color in area rug and pillows. Towels are another great way to add an accent color throughout. When choosing textiles, select all stain- and sun-resistant products.
- If space allows, add a pergola and dress it up with beautiful sheers and hanging lights. At the end, it’s all about the ambience. Your home has a unique feel; bring that same feel to your outdoor space, too. Hang string lights on your covered porch. Or if you can, hang a statement light fixture outside.
- Don’t forget your front door. There is nothing more inviting than seeing beautiful planted flowers on your porch or by the front door. A group of flowering plants draws the eye toward an entry and can also increase curb appeal. You can do this by adding pots filled with flowering annuals or creating a bed filled with blooming plants in the front yard or on your windows.
- Bring in some warmth. One of the ways to do that is by adding a fire pit. Everyone loves it, especially kids. It creates a great area to talk, while being warm and cozy. The s’more making is always fun, too.
- And most important, make sure you have yourselves covered. Yes, that’s right. Since we don’t live in California, we need to protect our furniture from rain, leaves, insects, and all the other residue during the summer months.
Have fun with it and let’s get ready for a beautiful summer yard!